Fracking Science Facts
U.S. Natural Resources
- Natural gas plays a key role in U.S. energy demands by supplying 22% of the total.
- The Energy Information Administration estimates that the U.S. has more than 1,744 trillion cubic feet (tcf) of technically recoverable natural gas, including 211 tcf of proved reserves (the discovered, economically recoverable fraction of the original gas-in-place).
- Technically recoverable unconventional gas (shale gas, tight sands, and coalbed methane) accounts for 60% of the onshore recoverable resource.
- Estimates put the U.S. shale gas resource supply at up to 100 years.
- The U.S. has twice as much the amount of natural gas than Saudi Arabia has in oil.